Monday, July 4, 2011

The American and the Brit celebrate Independence day with Captain America in Australia

My trip began smoothly with hardly any travel glitches.  I left the hustle and bustle of Rutland's International Jetport on Saturday July 2nd (I do not think it is actually international and jetport is a stretch as well) and arrived in Adelaide, Australia on July 4th.  As you can imagine, the 3rd is a fuzzy blur mixed in the middle of layovers, salty fry chips (no peanuts on Qantus) and the International Dateline.  Regardless, I arrived in time to celebrate my nation's day dedicated to our independence and freedom.  There were no fireworks, flags, small town parades.  There were no barbecues, afternoons at the beach, cheesy car commercials with the jaws' of our founding fathers flapping.  Remarkably, in Australia July 4th is no different than the 3rd or 5th . . . or at least that is what I assumed.  What I did not know was that even thousands of miles away from my homeland, Captain America was with me.  Now as I sit here and write this, having begun my jet lag recovery after a night of sleep, I am beginning to wonder if my encounter with Captain America was in fact a delusion driven by cabin pressure changes, dehydration, and lack of sleep.  Regardless, I will recount the events as I remember them.  

Catherine and I went to a local pasta restaurant for an early dinner before crashing for the night.  As we awaited our carbohydrate fix, a small boy, no more than five, approached our table wearing a golden chariot helmet and a t-shirt with a large letter A on the front.  He stood there staring through his cut out eye holes as his mother whispered in his ear.  There was a hesitation.  Mom whispered again.  Catherine and I stared unknowingly and curious.  "Happy Independence Day.  I'm Captain America"  After that initial introduction, it was like the flood gates opened and he chattered away about his costume and school and other topics I could not distinguish - partly because of his accent, partly because he was so young, and partly because the mask was muffling his speech.  Regardless it was the sweetest, cutest conversation of the evening.  Thank you Captain America for making an ordinary July 4th into the Fourth of July for me.

9 comments:

  1. This just shows that no matter where you are in the world as long as your an american you'll always celebrate your independence in your heart on July 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I agree with Brendan. To celebrate America's independence, you don't need fireworks, parades or barbecues. You just have to think of it and appreciate it yourself. Celebrate it in your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that even halfway around the earth they new that the 4th of july was so important to american history

    ReplyDelete
  4. Independence day is important to many people and it's amazing how the world knows that the 4th of July is important to Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe!!! That is so cute! I think it is great that the little boy did that. It was great to celebrate the 4th of July with Captain America and that he knew it was Independence Day in America.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreeing with Alesha, that is adorable. I know I would be missing my hometown of July 4th and to her that little boy say "Happy Independece Day. I'm Captain America!", must have been a great moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What that boy did was nice. He must of cheered you up alot.I would miss being in america for fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog shows that you don't need fireworks or anything to celebrate independence day. All you need is people to celebrate it with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The American and Brit Celebrate Independence Day With Captain America In Australia
    This article proves that being an American is not about fireworks or parades. It’s about having pride in your country and pride in those who made our country great. We don’t need cheesy commercials, barbeques, and parties to celebrate the 4th of July. You showed that in how you still took pride and remembered the 4th in a strange country without fireworks and parades, and parties.

    ReplyDelete