Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tea Time

When I came to Australia, I anticipated learning many new things about the geology of Australia.  And while I will return to my homeland saddled with a new recognition for field work, a greater understanding of the Trezona formation, and a budding ability to identify siltstone and carbonate; one of the greatest skills I have gained, revolves around a regular morning ritual.  Living six weeks with a Brit has instilled in me a new appreciation for the art of tea preparation.  Tea is not simply the watery drink that can substitute for coffee in a pinch.  It is a delectable drink that is only truly enjoyable when prepared under the correct conditions.  I have promised Catherine that as a liaison to the United States, I will do my best to educate my fellow Americans on the proper way to prepare, serve, and consume this often over looked beverage.  

Catherine and I enjoy Tea at the Copley Cafe


Step one: Boil water - this is the critical step that many Americans overlook.  This does not mean warm water, steaming water, or even water with the beginning boil bubbles collecting on the pan's surface.  This is a full on rolling boil *.  A convenient, affective way to achieve the necessary water temperature is to use an electric kettle**.
Step two: Pour boiling water over tea bag***.
Step three: Allow the bag to steep until rounded in flavor****.
Step four: Doctor tea as you see fit -  milk (2% or higher), sugar, etc.
Step five: Enjoy*****  I have to say that by following these simple guidelines I have experienced some of the best cups of tea.  All of a sudden, Lipton tea has been turned into a complete experience.

* Such a boil is impossible to achieve at higher elevations without the use of a pressure cooker.  To my Rocky Mountain friends, you may want to just skip the rest of this blog if such a cooker is not available to you at this time.
** When purchasing this boiling device, make sure that the box says electric kettle.  The hot pot is NOT an acceptable substitute as the 100 degrees centigrade will be impossible to achieve with the plastic bottomed basin.
*** Tea selection can be quite tricky in the United States as many of our teas are considerably weaker than the European counterpart and/or fruity in flavor.  (These directions are only good for black teas.  Disregard directions for green or fruit teas).  Apparently, Tazo loose leaf tea (which can only be purchased at Starbucks for an exorbitant price) comes even remotely close to achieving the correct potency. 
**** Apparently rounded flavor should occur in approximately one minute, but adjust to your personal preference.
***** As a contentious consumer, I often reused tea bags before permanently discarding.  This is a huge atrocity that sent Catherine into a substantial tirade revolving around the ignorance of a good cup of tea.

A rolling boil


14 comments:

  1. I had no idea that there was really a proper way to serve tea. Is tea in Australia much more popular than it is in America?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not all Americans are unaware of how to make a good cup of tea. My mother, who is of Irish heritage, makes tea the same way Catherine does except she steeps her Earl Grey tea at least 2-3 minutes and leaves the tea bag in the cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize the way you prepare your tea was so important to a british person i thought it was just the idea of drinking tea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who ever knew that tea was so important! great description. I think i might copy this and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice description on how to prepare tea. I am not much of a tea drinker but if I was I would take all of your advice into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing how much better tea is when you follow the "proper steeping" process. I highly recommend it. And Brendan, yes tea drinking is much more prevalent in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found it great to see someone trying to bring tea back into the U.S. My family, being also of Irish descent, are big tea drinkers. I enjoyed reading the inructions on how to properly prepare tea and compare it to my own way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's astounding to me how big tea is in other places compared to the U.S. My family isn't thast big of tea drinkers and when we do have tea it's not prepared properly. It was interesting to read how to prepare it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know that tea was a big thing in Australia. It is prepared differently then are way and looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting. I didn't think that you would need to follow rules to make a good cup of tea. Does it really taste differently? Also why does it taste different? I would think that a cup of tea is a cup of tea. I am surprised at how much work it takes to make a proper cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had never known that there is a proper way to serve tea.I thought it was a good description on how to make it though. I'm not really a tea drinker but i would love to try it when its made the proper way.If it tastes any differently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, tea had been around for many years and it has helped shaped history and culture. Also, there are many kinds of teas, such as black or green, just as coffee comes in a veriety of flavor. While reading your directions I notice some in-accuracies. First bringing the water to a rolling boil is actually a debate in European countries, more upper class residents will say to not bring your water to a full boil because you don’t want to burn your tea. Second, you didn’t mention how you should take out the tea bag before you drink; leaving in the tea bag is seen as a discussing American custom. Third, “tea time” actually refers to European societies when people take a break in their day to sit down and have a cup of tea, something we as Americans aren’t used to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew that "Aussie's" liked tea, but i had no idea what they went through to drink some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you make any tea? If you did,was it hard to make it? I really wish I could try some of their tea to see what they love about it.

    ReplyDelete